Friday 23 November 2012

Mobile Phone Review: HTC One V

A little while ago I bought myself a new Phone, the HTC One V.
HTC One V

The One V is the baby of the One range and I've made the move to this phone from the Nokia C7.  Those of you familiar with the C7 will know it runs the Symbian OS and applications are only available through Nokia's OVI store.  I can say this now, as it can't hurt me any more (thank you envirofone), but the C7 was the phone from Hell.  It was slow, clunky and finding any decent applications was like trying to find an honest man in a room full of politicians, estate agents and used car salesmen.
You think your budget deficit was big!  Look at one I made!

So what a delight the HTC One V is in comparison.  It runs Android, currently the Ice Cream Sandwich version if I'm not mistaken, and Android has the mighty Google Play store to choose from a vast array of apps, many of which are indeed useful.

The phone itself is a slick affair, with a metal casing and a screen with a 9.5cm (3.75") viewable area.  In use, the screen changes are fast and I haven't seen it struggle with anything yet.
Robot Devil


Storage wise, it's the only One series phone that has an SD card slot (microSD) for expanding the storage, which was one of the attractions for me.

There are some downsides I've experienced so far, the first is an issue with the SD card in that sometimes the phone thinks the card has been removed (when it clearly hasn't) and that stops certain apps from working (especially ones that are on the SD card or rely on it).  Fortunately, turning the phone off and on again fixes that, but it can be annoying if it happens frequently.

Nokia C7 "Smart" phone





I also came across an annoyance in the calendar function, in that it doesn't do calendar repeats over a fortnight (that's once every 2 weeks for those not familiar with the term).  This is annoying because my bins get collected on alternate weeks and I used to use a fortnightly reminder to remember which bin to leave out.  Now I have to use a weekly one and try and remember what I did last week, which makes me grumpy.

Also, when I get emails and leave the notification sound on, it just beeps at me every few minutes to remind me (and repeats those beeps every few mins ad-infinitum), so I've had to turn the sound off.  It doesn't do it with texts, so why with emails? It's not as if the world will implode if I don't read a new email within 2 minutes of its arrival!
Dave, you've got mail Dave.  You really should look at your mail Dave. I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.  P.S. You've got mail Dave. 

Other than that, a fine phone.  It has a half decent camera, can shoot 720p video (though no forward facing camera for Skype etc) and does what I want it to do, well almost.

A sound 7 out of 10.

P.S. You've got mail.

No comments:

Post a Comment