Wednesday 18 May 2011

Adventures in Shaving Part III

Well, it's been a while and it's time to come to the promised update on the whole Traditional Shaving Front.


Blade Runner
Since my last report, I have tried a couple of different types of razor blade to see which one suits me best.
I soon came to realise that my starter, the Derby, just wasn't sharp enough and that as soon as it became just a tiny bit blunt it started to scrape.  So, Derby eliminated.

Next up, I tried my hand at a sample of some mystery Israeli made (unbranded) blades.  Well, I stopped after the first shave, it was blunt as a biscuit tin, still I have 4 more of them things that can be used for DIY purposes.

Next on my list was the Gillette 7 O'clock Sharp Edge.  These are made in Russia under licence and I have to say I was impressed.  They are sharp and they last at least 3 quite lengthly shaves.  So, I have stuck with a whole bunch of these for now (120 to be precise), so my stash should last for a considerable time.

It's all in the Wrist
Technique wise, I have now sorted this out, and generally find 2 with the grain passes and one or two against the grain ones seem to suffice.  My speed has increased and so has my accuracy, so little nicks are becoming much less common.
My lathering technique has also become much more consistent, and it definitely comes down to having the right amount of water in the mug and in the brush to achieve a good lather.

Apres Rasage
I have two things I now use after a shave.  Firstly, if I notice any irritation I used some distilled Witch Hazel (from Boots), and this nips anything in the bud if it threatens to get a little nasty.  Secondly, I use Peruvian Maca Root Razor Relief from the Body Shop as my after shave balm.  You don't need much of either, and they make all the difference to soothing that face after a really close shave.

And now, the end is near...
All things considered, I think that both the cartridge method and the traditional ones both have their pros and cons.  The traditional method has cost going for it, and the modern gizmos have speed on their side.  Personally, if you've got patience, then the old way of doing things will cost you less in the long run, and being a bit more patient than I was 10 years ago, I think I'll stick with this for the time being, but I'll admit, it won't suit everyone.


No comments:

Post a Comment