Saturday 12 February 2011

Life, the Universe and Everything

I recently read a blog from my friend Anna.

And she's got me thinking into posting some thoughts I've had over a number of years about how we value jobs in our society.

By value, I'm going to generalise here and say that a job that has value has to benefit either the human race in general or individual humans on a personal level.  So, jobs like doctors, nurses, hospital staff, teachers, firemen, policemen, these benefit the lives of individuals every day.

Then we have the jobs like scientists, miners, engineers, architects.  The people that discover new things, and build tangible artifacts that benefit large groups of people or humanity as whole.

Of course these examples are just touching the surface, I'm sure that you can add to the list.

And how much do we pay these people?  More often than not, not very well when compared to other, less "valuable" jobs.

But it really gets me when you think how much a carer, or a nurse, or a teaching assistant gets paid when compared to some city banker just shuffling numbers around. 

And of course, we know that thanks to the events of recent years, that these money movers have actually adversely affected humanity.  Why is this?  Why is that we not only tolerate it, but bail these people out, and then consider them punished when we reduce their bonus pot a little bit.  Why do we value these people more than the ones that do good work?  I sure as hell can't figure it out.

Discuss.

No comments:

Post a Comment